Phil Putney has almost 30 years of experience in the financial industry as a CPA and personal financial specialist. On this first episode of Phil’s Tax Hacks, we’ll learn more about Phil’s approach to financial and retirement planning. Get to know Phil a little better as we set the stage for the future topics and conversations to come on the podcast.
Click the timestamps below to jump ahead in the episode…
Other Retirement Facts:
1:45 Why Do a Podcast?
- Education is an important part of Phil’s business. He tries to provide constant educational opportunities to clients.
- Today, there are a lot of decisions to make when facing retirement, so it is important to be well-informed.
2:19 What’s Behind the Comprehensive Approach?
- Phil’s background is as a CPA first but came to the financial services industry by request from clients.
- He believes in planning ahead of time for tax ramifications we might face in the future.
3:33 How Did the Firm Begin?
- The goal was always to work with clients to best position their overall tax scenario.
- He started as an independent registered representative and embraced the fiduciary standard.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the post to see a short video that helps explain suitability vs. the fiduciary standard.
- The firm aims to help clients understand the “why” behind their retirement plans.
5:07 Why Is Your Approach Different?
- Phil Putney compares it to building a house, you need to start with the plan before running to get supplies.
- Ask, what are you trying to accomplish?
- You need a custom-built plan for your retirement.
8:48 Who Is Your Ideal Client?
- Someone nearing retirement or about to take an early retirement and needs someone to help them walk through those decisions.
- Phil wants to be a resource to clients and to prepare them for the many decisions that arise during the planning process.
Suitability vs. Fiduciary: